The Life of David Gale
Just watched this brilliantly executed movie... in all respects, with tight, compelling writing, superb acting, and an ending which just caught me off guard. Not since "Presumed Innocent" & "Primal Fear" have I completely not been able to predict an ending!
What really got me thinking was... the very fine point on the debate over death penalty. Suddenly, I started to wonder why I so ardently believe in the existence of capital punishment in the first place. I just always put myself in a hypothetical homicide victim's family's shoes and argue the case... which I'm beginning to realise is just plain emotionally driven judgement. After all... as Mahatma Gandhi said... "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
Though it was a great movie... I was a bit disappointed by its main argument that "Death penalty is bad 'cause innocents by chance, may be convicted."
Tedy had a much more convincing argument when I had a discussion about this topic a couple of weeks ago.... about the Death Penalty being just another Murder performed by the state... & who are we to really take the life of another human being? What about Human Rights?
This quote from a lady called Holly Near sums it up I reckon... "why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"
What really got me thinking was... the very fine point on the debate over death penalty. Suddenly, I started to wonder why I so ardently believe in the existence of capital punishment in the first place. I just always put myself in a hypothetical homicide victim's family's shoes and argue the case... which I'm beginning to realise is just plain emotionally driven judgement. After all... as Mahatma Gandhi said... "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
Though it was a great movie... I was a bit disappointed by its main argument that "Death penalty is bad 'cause innocents by chance, may be convicted."
Tedy had a much more convincing argument when I had a discussion about this topic a couple of weeks ago.... about the Death Penalty being just another Murder performed by the state... & who are we to really take the life of another human being? What about Human Rights?
This quote from a lady called Holly Near sums it up I reckon... "why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home